I’ve written an LED controller that uses many concepts I’ve learned writing web pages with HTML+CSS
- Uploadable scripts
- Recursive elements
- HSL colors
- Element positioning (offset/length. relative/absolute. pixel/%/inch/centimeter units).
- Animation over time and position
- Blend operations (replace, add, subtract, min,…) when elements overlap. These work great with HSL color components.
I call it wiLED (Web Inspired LED)
I will be blogging about different aspects of this system over the next few months as I clean up the code. Some of my ideas are
- Capabilities & JSON definitions
- Arduino programming, debugging & libraries I wrote (logging, unit tests, other generic needs)
- Standard Arduino libraries I use (ESP8266WebServer, Serial)
- Animation (generic math animation stuff and how I’m using it)
- Hardware (ESP8266, WS8212B)
- A browser application that I can access through my Home Assistant dashboard or any web browser.
Leave a comment if there’s a specific topic you’d like me to cover.
My code is available on GitHub – both the Arduino sketch and the browser UI. There are still parts I wrote a year ago after 20 years away from any significant C++ development. And other parts that are still proof-of-concept. I will be cleaning it up as I blog, but it can run pretty powerful scripts as it is.